Over the past seven years, Bruce Springsteen has privately devoted himself to writing the story of his life, bringing to these pages the same honesty, humor, and originality found in his songs.
He describes growing up Catholic in Freehold, New Jersey, amid the poetry, danger, and darkness that fueled his imagination. He vividly recounts his relentless drive to become a musician, his early days as a bar band king in Asbury Park, and the rise of the E Street Band.
Born to Run will be revelatory for anyone who has ever enjoyed Springsteen, but this book is much more than a legendary rock star's memoir. This is a book for workers and dreamers, parents and children, lovers and loners, artists, freaks, or anyone who has ever wanted to be baptized in the holy river of rock and roll.
Rarely has a performer told his own story with such force and sweep. Like many of his songs, Springsteen's autobiography is written with the lyricism of a singular songwriter and the wisdom of a man who has thought deeply about his experiences.
Born to Run is available now wherever books are sold. Chapter and Verse, a collection of 18 songs chosen by Springsteen that trace his musical history from its earliest days, telling a story that parallels the one in the book is also available now. The album includes five previously unreleased tracks including two tracks from The Castiles, featuring a teenaged Springsteen on guitar and vocals.
'Chapter and Verse,' the audio companion to Bruce Springsteen's extraordinary forthcoming autobiography, was released Sept. 23 on Columbia Records. The career-spanning compilation was released four days before Simon & Schuster publishes Born to Run. Five of the album's 18 tracks have not been previously released.
Springsteen selected the songs on Chapter and Verse to reflect the themes and sections of 'Born to Run.' The compilation begins with two tracks from The Castiles, featuring a teenaged Springsteen on guitar and vocals, and ends with the title track from 2012's 'Wrecking Ball.' The collected songs trace Springsteen's musical history from its earliest days, telling a story that parallels the one in the book.
Recordings from Steel Mill and The Bruce Springsteen Band feature musicians who would go on to play in The E Street Band. Solo demos of "Henry Boy" and "Growin' Up" were cut in 1972 shortly before Springsteen began recording his debut album, 'Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.'
Chapter and Verse is available now as a single CD and double LP, as well as via digital download and streaming. The package includes lyrics and rare photos. Get it now at iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Spotify, FYE, and many other fine retailers.
Chapter and Verse song titles:
1. Baby I — The Castiles (recorded May 2, 1966, at Mr. Music, Bricktown, NJ; written by Bruce Springsteen and George Theiss; previously unreleased)
2. You Can't Judge a Book by the Cover — The Castiles (recorded Sept. 16, 1967, at The Left Foot, Freehold, NJ; written by Willie Dixon; previously unreleased)
3. He's Guilty (The Judge Song) — Steel Mill (recorded Feb. 22, 1970, at Pacific Recording Studio, San Mateo, CA; previously unreleased)
4. Ballad of Jesse James — The Bruce Springsteen Band (recorded March 14, 1972, at Challenger Eastern Surfboards, Highland, NJ; previously unreleased)
5. Henry Boy (recorded June 1972, at Mediasound Studios, New York, NY; previously unreleased)
6. Growin' Up (recorded May 3, 1972, at Columbia Records Recordings Studios, New York, NY; previously appeared on 'Tracks')
7. 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) (1973, 'The Wild, The Innocent & the E Street Shuffle')
8. Born to Run (1975, 'Born to Run')
9. Badlands (1977, 'Darkness on the Edge of Town')
10. The River (1980, 'The River')
11. My Father's House (1982, 'Nebraska')
12. Born in the U.S.A. (1984, 'Born in the U.S.A.')
13. Brilliant Disguise (1987, 'Tunnel of Love')
14. Living Proof (1992, 'Lucky Town')
15. The Ghost of Tom Joad (1995, 'The Ghost of Tom Joad')
16. The Rising (2002, 'The Rising')
17. Long Time Comin' (2005, 'Devils & Dust')
18. Wrecking Ball (2012, 'Wrecking Ball')
All songs written and performed by Bruce Springsteen except as noted.
Springsteen’s gripping 500-page autobiography, 'Born to Run,' will be released internationally Sept. 27, published in hardcover, e-book, and audio editions by Simon & Schuster in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and India, as well as other publishers around the world. Springsteen has been privately writing the autobiography over the past seven years. He began work in 2009, after performing with the E Street Band at the Super Bowl’s halftime show. 'Born To Run' is available for pre-order here.
Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band will return to Australia & New Zealand for nine huge shows this summer! For all tour and pre-sale information, visit frontiertouring.com/brucespringsteen.